Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reasoning: Greek History Review #6

I've been organizing my Greek History studying in order to put it into a coherent pattern and create a "syllabus" [1]. In tracing the history, I am not focusing on the Minoan and Mycenean developments because I although I have some interest in archaeology, it is not my primary interest nor something about which I have a lot of background. Some of this I have related before, but not in an organized fashion.

So here is my reading for Greek History from c.2000-600 BCE [2]:
Minoans, Myceneans, Early Dark Ages, and Sources:
Secondary Sources (General background on Early Greece)
Primary Sources (The Greeks on their own early history)
The Dark Age (c.1100-750): 
Primary Sources (Possible evidence for Dark Age aristocracy and politics)
  •  Odyssey by Homer, Books 1-19 (I will read through 24 in order to check it off my reading list)
  • Agamemnon by Aeschylus. Lines 1-907.
Secondary Sources (The Dark Age and Homer as a Historical Source)
The Early Archaic Age (c.750-600): 
Primary Sources (Early Archaic politics and the beginnings of the polis)
Secondary Sources (Politics in the Early Archaic and the Influence of Trade)

Endnotes
  1. I borrowed significantly from the Greek History syllabus from the class I took in Fall 2008. My own additions primarily are the art and archaeology sources (some of which I borrowed from my classical world survey course), and some textbook background on Greek History. I also changed many of the translations used either because I liked the editions or translations better, or they were more easily accessible.
  2. These dates are going to overlap a lot, and each of the articles and chapters deal with different eras. I am going to go by the traditional dates of the Mycenean's arriving in Greece c.2000 and the Dark Age beginning c.1100.
  3. I realize that this literary analysis-- and specifically an unorthodox Marxist literary analysis-- is a bizarre choice for a history reading list. However, I really like Rose's work and his methodology, and I think that his readings try to situate the reader in the culture of the period, and specifically in terms of what relations between ruling groups.
  4. The Cambridge Philosophical Journal: The Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society (1984). I happened upon this article when I was looking for the Hesiod article and I ended up enjoying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment