Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Appetitive: The Etymology of Academy

I had always been told that the modern word "academy" came from the name of Plato's school in Athens. Oddly, I never thought to ask myself whence Plato derived the name. In an endnote to Richard Kraut's Introduction (CCO) to the Cambridge Companion to Plato, the answer appears:
"The school Plato founded (c. 387 B.C.), called the Academy after a park located on the outskirts of Athens and sacred to the hero Academus, was in continuous existence for many centuries" (Kraut 31, endnote 3).
I thought it was kind of cool that the Academy was named after a park named after a hero, rather than having any etymological relationship to philosophy, school, learning, etc.

The Cambridge Companion to Plato (Cambridge Companions to Philosophy)

I know I have been lame about posting my piece on the Laws. It's coming soon, I've just been busy with holidays, Horace, and other mishaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment