Saturday, October 9, 2010

Reasoning: A Crisis in Archaeology?

Back to typing up the notes from Shapiro's lecture tomorrow. However, yesterday I found something fascinating in the free journals that were posted on The Ancient World Online. When I think of the economic crisis, I certainly thing of people losing their jobs. Yet, my first thought did not go to archaeologists. I should have made this connection, but it simply did not occur to me.

A recent(ish) issue of the of the European Archaeologist (Summer 2009), featured three pieces in a series called "A Crisis in Archaeology?" which talks about the effects of the economic changes on archaeology, including the jobs lost by archaeologists (especially in the UK) and the impact on funding and public relations. I think this is an important issue for the continuation of classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment