Friday, October 29, 2010

Appetitive: The Sound of Ancient Greek

There is a fabulous sample of Greek pronunciation (of both poetry and prose) online. Since I would like to improve my Greek pronunciation significantly before graduate school. Propertius II directed me to The Sound of Ancient Greek. Stefan Hagel, the speaker, uses pitch accents as well as indicating the type of phrase (e.g. interrogative, declaratory) in tone and pitch. It's fabulous. I listened to the messenger speech from Aeschylus' Agamemnon and the introduction to Plato's Symposium just this morning; they are great. Enjoy!

Hagel uses one of the same texts that I am trying to read through, Vox Graeca: The Pronunciation of Classical Greek. Maybe my Greek will sound like that someday!
Vox Graeca: The Pronunciation of Classical Greek

No comments:

Post a Comment