Thursday, September 9, 2010

Reasoning: Sanskrit Library

I have spent most of the day working on a time line for the art history in the second chapter of my thesis. I am trying to do some revision to see if I can get anyone interested in my thesis, and I also to use it for a writing sample.

Some of the programs that I am looking at, e.g. Brown, require Sanskrit. Ever since I was in high school and my first Greek teacher talked about the relationship between Greek and Sanskrit, I have been interested in learning Sanskrit. My interest was stoked further by a beautiful green leather book I discovered in one of my friends rooms when hanging out one day. The book was beautiful, thick with cream pages, and became much more so when I realized that the book was in fact a Sanskrit Grammar. A few summers ago, two friends of mine decided to teach themselves Sanskrit (one of whom was Propertius). I was going to do it with them, but it became complicated, although I believe they did manage to pick up some amount of the language. In the process, I received my own copy of the Sanskrit Grammar. I have planned on looking into it this summer, but I have not gotten around to it yet. You can download it for free online on the Internet Archive.


While I was searching around, I found a Sanskrit Library. It appears to have Sanskrit texts and materials of some kind, although I haven to looked into much of it yet. I hope that I would manage to teach myself a little at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment